Sunday, March 21, 2010

From Suki and Joss


I got these cards this week from Suki and Joss - so wonderful. Suki has a great poem on the back which starts with "the first fish I ever caught would not lie down quiet in the pail" - a poem by Mary Oliver who Suki loves.

Joss' card is colorful and lively and states that 'each day comes bearing it's own gifts" - how true! Joss, the address part of the card was hanging on by a thread - more glue girlfriend!

I've been spraying a bit of varnish on my cards if they are inkjet printed, just to save them from total destruction by the rain. I worry a bit when I glue two pieces of paper together, and am trying to do one side heavy and the other side (usually the address side) in a lighter weight paper. Or else I am stitching the two sides together - I guess whatever works.

11 comments:

  1. mmm yes i think that may have been the problem, i stuck two cards together thinking they would be stronger, oh well, whew at least this got to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what's amazing is that the little tree stayed on though, gasp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both cards are dreamy beautiful!!!!!
    Can't decide which I love more........
    Lucky I don't have too they are for lucky Mim!

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you enjoyed the card Mim. why do I thinkof you when I see pictures of fish??? Soulbrush, what kind of glue are you using. I use YES paste. For my first card I coated it in acrylic gloss medium but although this gave it a protected coat I didnt like the resulting appearance so didnt do that for the others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The glue definitely has a lot to do with what stays attached.

    I love your new cards. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful cards!! I also spray mine with a clear coat of polycrylic or even just clear Krylon spray paint on my painted or drawn cards. If I do something with layers, I use mod podge or yes paste, or gel medium as a glue and then also as a sealer so a good coat or two on the top layers seems to have worked for me so far.

    I don't like gloss finishes because not everything is shiny. So I use a matte or satin finish. I never use a gloss finish on my photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look beautiful together too.
    Suki's card reminds me of earth layers of the Southwest. Gorgeous and rich!

    Joss's card soothes me in both images and colors.

    Nice job ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes these are great. I am amazed that they get there in such good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, those fish look like Mim could have painted them herself! Great job Suki, and I love the poem too.

    Soul, your picture is wonderful. Love the woman of an era past, where did you get that tree? the colors and lines all flow beautifully together. So glad it made it to Mim's door.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fish looks so archeological - like he's been pulled from the earth. Great colors - I'm going to have to look up that poem, sounds fun! Joss' puts me in a stained glass spring garden. Lovely! Can I go now? - I want to be there, not here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love the colours and textures in both these cards - and don't they go well together! Lovely work girls!

    ReplyDelete